When people are faced with needing notarized documents in Calgary, they often do not know what to do. All articling students and lawyers in Alberta are also Notary Publics. There are also notary publics who are not lawyers. Any of these people can notarize documents in Calgary for you. At Ford Nelson Law, we are able to help you. This makes it quick and easy to come in.
The Purpose of Having Documents Notarized
Getting notarized documents is often done for several reasons. Notarized documents can be both required by specific statutes (such as the Land Titles Act), or requested without a legal rational. These reasons include:
- Proving identity
- Swearing oaths, affidavits, or statutory declarations
- Proving original documents
What to remember for you Notary Appointment
You will be required to bring the following in order to get documents notarized in Calgary:
- Bring in one piece of government issued photo ID
- Bring in a second piece of ID that is either government issued photo, or with a signature, including credit cards or health care cards.
- All people who are signing the document must come to the appointment. We cannot notarize a document without being present when the document is signed.
- Bring in the document to be notarized
- Bring in any paperwork that relates to the notarized documents.
- Please do not sign the document to be notarized before your appointment.
- For original true copies, we will need to make a copy of the original document. Please bring in the original.
Types of Notarized Documents
The following are the more common documents that require notarization in Alberta. They are just examples. We would strongly recommend that you review the document that you need notarized before making your appointment. Then let us know. If you need more than one document notarized, then ask about our multiple document discount. Examples of documents that need notarizing are:
- Passport applications
- Lost, damaged or stolen passport applications
- Statutory declarations
- Child travel letters
- Notarized copies or certified true copies
- Immigration related applications
Some Documents Require More Than Notarization
We often get calls from people who want to book an appointment for a notary but really need something else. This happens for a few reasons. Sometimes people do not understand the nature of the documents that they want to bring in to the lawyer. Other times, people think that they will save money by booking a notary appointment instead of some other service. This often delays dealing with the documentation. The most common areas that people book a notary instead of another service include Certificates of Independent Legal Advice, personal guarantees, separation agreements, out of province transfer of property and cohabitation or prenuptial agreements. While these services do cost more than a notary, it is because there is a lot more work and liability involved. Make sure to let us know what type of document you want to bring in and we can book you an appointment with the appropriate person for the appropriate amount of time. This will save you having to come back for a second appointment.